Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Boogie Comes to Springville


It's boogie time again in my little corner of the world. Our zip code, normally population 4800, soars to over 60,000, with 55,000 of these riding motorcycles past my normally quiet little wooded property. Nearby towns of Bedford and Oolitic are happy to have them here. They spend a lot of money in the restaurants, liquor stores, and bars. I imagine there are other businesses that benefit from the increase in population. Personally, I can't wait for them to all leave.

One thing I've noticed, bikers aren't the same as they used to be in the old days. When I was young, they were leather clad, tatoo laden tough guys, with their molls riding behind them. These were almost always pretty hard looking young women with long hair, short pants, and skimpy tops. They didn't have money, but they always had booze and dope. Today, they don't ride their bikes in. They travel in huge motor homes, trucks with huge trailers, and always an additional trailer behind to carry their toys (bikes, trikes, off road vehicles). They average about 50 in age, have short gray hair, and probably wear suits for their day jobs. But, they still know how to party! Oh, there are still the few who travel on their bikes with their bed roll on the back, but these are few and far between. It's no longer the outlaw sport it once was.

I live about 10 miles from the highway that goes to the nearest grocery shopping in Bedford. It normally takes me a little over twenty minutes to get there. When the boogie is on, it can take longer than that just to exit the driveway. And, tomorrow around 11AM, traffic will be backed up from the turn to the park about two blocks north of my driveway all the way back to the highway. And, while the park is about three miles from here, I'll be listening to their music for the next four nights. There will be emergency vehicles going by with their sirens on, a rarity in this neck of the woods. And, the police will be answering calls for fights, and all the other things that go along with large groups of people, drugs and booze, in a small space for five days.

They started coming here about seven years ago after they were driven out of Brown county. I think they used to have a park near Bean Blossom. But, they threw them out of there. Lawrence county opened their door to them with a smile and the hope of financial gain. They didn't ask me what I thought. Even if they had, I'm sure they wouldn't have listened. Ah well, it is only five days once a year. So, I think I'll be able to tough it out.

A couple of years ago, I set up a table out in front and tried to sell my wares. Even when they were at a dead stand-still in front of my property, they didn't come up to see what I had. So, my attempts to make a buck off of them failed. Maybe if I had a cooler full of ice cold beer, I could do better. But, I think that may be against some kind of law. Maybe I could put up a sign that said, "All proceeds go to benefit the Springville Arts Fund". That would be me...

I'm supposed to add some pics of my dogs and cat with this post. But, the girls just came in, and it's raining outside, so I'll have to take them later. That's all for now. Boogie down!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate to think of the peace and quiet of Bean Blossom and that area broken by loud music and motorcycle maniacs.

Bean Blossom is one of my absolute favorite places, I didn't realize you lived near there. No wonder I love your place so much.

Try some ear plugs and good luck. Maybe they will all pass out and go to sleep early. They are getting old it seems LOL.